Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Kathy Rodriguez

Bunny Baby Meets the Cousins Oil on panel 48" x 72"

2008 University of Montana graduate, Kathy Rodriguez, makes awesomely fun and engaging paintings (at least in my opinion...most people that walk into my house and see the giant cake and turkey flying off the wall may question such statements, but I just laugh because having a giant cake and turkey on the wall is really funny).   Why a cake and a turkey? Why is that guy dressed in a giraffe suit?  All these questions leave you somewhat stupefied, thrusting you into a space of liminality between understanding and confusion.   Her MFA thesis show "The Extravaganza Awaits" was an epic and rich artistic circus full of games, costumes, prizes, suprises, videos, installations, rooms, white buffalo, elephants, giraffes, babys, and more.  "The Extravaganza Awaits" was by far one of my favorite exhibtions I have seen Missoula.  I like it so much I bought 4x8 foot painting of a cake and a turkey!

Visit her website and there you can see all of her work.  Her most recent paintings of ducks are also great, not as stupefying, but still make you ask why ducks....cause there awesome...duh
 
 Turkey Escapes Oil on canvas
(this is the painting that graces my living room)

 Coming to the Table oil on canvas 70”x96”

MORE ART AFTER THE JUMP


 The Extravaganze Awaits - Installation View

  The Extravaganze Awaits - Installation View
  The White Buffalo with Babies Oil on panel 9" x 9"

DUCKS!

3 comments:

  1. Rodriguez is dope, I shared this story with some of my homies. Nice job artmelt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks really fast josh...we heart your support...serendipitously Ms Rodriguez was in Missoula over the weekend, hopefully you all got see her!

    ReplyDelete